My name is Jan Recker and I am a tenured Full Professor of Information Systems and inaugural holder of the Woolworths Chair of Retail Innovation at Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia. I am also a Fellow of the Alexander-von-Humboldt-Foundation and a Fellow of the Liechtenstein Chapter of the Association for Information Systems.
At Queensland University of Technology, I work in the Information Systems School, a large applied research group dedicated to rigorous and relevant research on all facets of organizational issues related to technology, processes and people.
Most of my current research is in the areas Organizational Innovation, Process Design and Business Transformation Management. Organizational Innovation describes practices by which organizations seek to improve their business models and provide new products and services to consumers. Process design is a popular approach for analyzing and building software as well as organizational systems, by starting with models of how an organization works. Business Transformation Management concerns how organizations handle large-scale change initiatives that change the nature and face of an organization. I also have an interest in methodological aspects of IS research (of both qualitative and quantitative nature), sustainability concerns related to technologies and organizations, as well as some meta topics related to Information systems research as a field of inquiry.
My teaching addresses the areas of Business Process Management, Process Modeling, Analysis and Improvement on the one hand, and Information Systems Management and Development on the other hand.
More information about me can be found in the print-out version of my CV (short version, status April 2013) here.here
- Inaugural Holder of the Woolworths Chair of Retail Innovation, since April 2012.
- Guest Professor at the International School of Software, Wuhan University, China, since April 2012.
- Full Professor for Information Systems, since March 2012.
- Academic Director for Corporate Programs and Partners in the Information Systems School, between January 2011 and June 2012.
- Fellow of the Alexander-von-Humboldt-Foundation, since 2010.
- Fellow of the Liechtenstein Chapter of the Association for Information Systems, since 2010.
- Invited Visiting Research Fellow at the Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, from October – December 2010.
- Associate Professor for Information Systems, Queensland University of Technology, since August 2010.
- Senior Lecturer at the Faculty of Science & Technology, Queensland University of Technology between June 2008 and July 2010.
- Research Assistant at the Faculty of Information Technology, Queensland University of Technology from February – May 2008.
- Visiting Research Fellow at the Howe School of Technology Management, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ, USA from May – August 2007.
- PhD Studies in Information Systems at the Queensland University of Technology Brisbane, Australia from November 2005 – December 2007 (PhD awarded in May 2008).
- Research Assistant at the Faculty of Information Technology, Queensland University of Technology from January – October 2005.
- Studies of Information Systems at the University of Muenster, Germany (BScIS in 2004, MScIS in 2004).
- Exchange Studies of Information Technology at the Queensland University of Technology Brisbane, Australia from July – November 2003.
Recent Important Events
- [Feb 2013] The latest Top-100 Rankings of IS researchers place me at 27th position worldwide, based on publications in the Basket of six journals over the last three years (click here). I retain my position as highest ranked Australian IS researcher in this ranking.
- [Apr 2012] I have received a promotion to Full Professor together with my appointment as Woolworths Chair of Retail Innovation.
- [Feb 2012] The latest Top-100 Rankings of IS researchers place me at 26th position worldwide, based on publications in the Basket of six journals over the last three years (click here).
- [Nov 2011] I received one of the prestigious and competitive Discovery Early Career Researcher Awards to finance my work on process model design for the next three years.
- [Oct 2011] I had my 100th academic fully refereed paper accepted since 2005.
- [Mar 2011] I have taken over the co-leadership of QUT’s Business Process Management research group, one of the largest research groups in this domain.
- [Feb 2011] The latest Top-100 Rankings of IS researchers place me at 37th position worldwide, based on publications in the Basket of six journals over the last three years (click here) – making me the highest ranked German or Australian researcher.
- [Jan 2011] My book “Evaluations of Process Modeling Grammars” has been released by Springer (click here).
Coverage in the News
- Govt to co-fund new technology trials to enhance smart living and working
Channel News Asia Broadcast, 28 March 2013, produced by Dylan Loh.
- From bricks and mortar to virtual reality
QUT Media Release, 25 October 2012, written by Alita Pashley.
- Research helps retail efficiency rise
QUT Media Release, 25 October 2012, written by Rose Trapnell.
- Woolies to fund$1m for QUT retail research
Computerworld, 3 May 2012, written by Diana Nguyen.
- Woolworths and QUT to spearhead retail revolution
QUT Media Release, 3 May 2012, written by Rose Trapnell.
- QUT Professor Awarded $375k Business Model Grant
StartUpSmart Growth Note, 19 January 2012, written by Michelle Hammond.
- QUT to Search for Model to Business Success
QUT Media Release, 18 January 2012, written by Rose Trapnell.
- Stevens/QUT study explains how organizations document their business processes
Stevens University Communications, April 18, 2008, written by Stephanie Mannino. Link
- Mecca for BPM Researchers
Scheer Magazin, Issue 1/2008 March 26, 2008, written by Bernd Mueller.
- Worlds apart … but QUT & Germany partner as one
Inside QUT, Issue 262 March 28 – April 25, 2006, written by Sandra Hutchinson.